AIRPLANE + AIRPLANE
Italy-Athens about 2 hours + Athens-Naxos about 40 minutes
This is the fastest option to reach the Island if the flight from Italy allows you to be in Athens in time to catch the daily flight to Naxos.
Therefore you should check before the time and the availability of the Athens-Naxos flight and later you should look for a connecting flight from Italy. Obviously it’s the same for the way back!
If you don’t find any suitable flight from Italy to Naxos in a day’s time, you could spend the night in Athens organizing a visit of the city.
A few days a week there are even 2 flights per day from Athens to Naxos and viceversa. Therefore we recommend always to check the timetable of the domestic flight also in the previous/following days to the one you are interested in.
AIRPLANE + FERRY
Italy-Greece + Ferry to Naxos
This is the most widespread option. The 3 different arrival airports in Greece can be ATHENS, SANTORINI and MYKONOS that we’ll analyse giving you also the details of the related ferries to Naxos.
ARRIVAL AIRPORT: ATHENS + FERRY TO NAXOS
About 2 hours of flight + Ferry or Hydrofoil from 4 to 6 hours according to the kind of boat and the routing
In high season from Athens to Naxos and viceversa there are on average 4 or 5 ferries a day. Therefore it isn’t impossible to organise the trip in a day’s time without spending a night in Athens.
Even though if you’ve never seen the Greek capital and its archaeological beauties, it could be worth to spend a night there, maybe before the way back to Italy.
From Piraeus port to Naxos and viceversa there are:
- HIGH-SPEED FERRIES of HELLENIC SEAWAYS or HIGHSPEED company: large and fast catamarans that can accommodate 850 people and also cars. They take just under 4 hours to reach Naxos;
- FERRIES of BLUE STAR FERRIES company: ships that can accommodate 1100 people and also cars. They take about 5-6 hours to reach Naxos.
How to reach Pireaus port from Athens airport (about 30 kilometres):
- The cheapest and the most comfortable option with a current cost of € 5.00 per ticket. The comfortable X96-line buses, from the airport up to the docks in Piraeus port from where ferries to Naxos leave (docks nr. 7 and nr. 8).
Travel time: approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes.
Route frequency: every 20 minutes, 24 hours a day.
- It takes approximately 55-60 minutes. The route cost is about € 50.00/€ 60.00.
- UNDERGROUND (not recommended). It takes the same time of bus, but you have to change the line and its’s not very comfortable having luggage, children, etc., besides the loss of time due to lines/stations unknown.
ARRIVAL AIRPORT: SANTORINI + FERRY TO NAXOS
About 2 hours and a half of flight + Ferry or Hydrofoil from 1 hour and a half to 2 hours and a half according to the kind of boat and the routing
With this option you can reach Naxos in about 2 hours of ferry, with the two following alternatives:
- Small FAST CATAMARANS of SEAJET company
- FERRIES of BLUE STAR FERRIES company
BLUE STAR FERRIES ships are recommended because they are big, therefore they guarantee more punctuality also if the sea is rough.
ARRIVAL AIRPORT: MYKONOS + FERRY TO NAXOS
About 2 hours and a half of flight + Ferry or Hydrofoil from 40 minutes to 1 hour and a half according to the kind of boat and the routing
Among the 3 cities Mykonos is the closest to Naxos, so with this option you will take less than 1 hour of ferry to reach Naxos.
Many shipping companies work in the Mykonos-Naxos-Mykonos route: BLUE STAR FERRIES, SEAJET, HIGHSPEED, ZANTE FERRIES and more.
FERRY + FERRY
Italy-Greece about 17/32 hours + Pireaus port-Naxos from 4 to 6 hours
This is the longest-lasting option, yet necessary if you want to go to Naxos with your means of transport. There are several shipping lines with comfortable ships from Italy to Greece.
Departure ports in Italy: Venice (32 hours), Ancona (20-22 hours), Bari (18 hours) and Brindisi (17 hours).
Arrival ports in Greece: Patras port.
From Patras port you have to travel for 220 kilometres in the motorway to reach Athens and to board from Pireaus port to Naxos.
The most important tip: the airline ticket is the first thing you should buy in a “do-it-yourself” travel, beacuse the longer you wait the more expensive the ticket will be!
Herebelow some useful tips:
- Keep in consideration that during your research you can find cheaper flights if you look “single tickets” instead of “return tickets”. In this way you could find cheaper solutions maybe with two different Airlines to go and to go back, and above all better timetables for the connecting ferries.
If, instead, you look for return tickets the website will probably give you only flights with the same airline and sometimes it narrows the possible options.
- Check airline websites and online ticket offices before in order to look for the various routes and for ticket costs!
You can purchase on the websites all the scheduled flights with credit card (also by telephone) or at travel agencies with airline ticket office.
To make easy your travel organisation, please consult our webpage concerning SHIP CONNECTIONS, where you can see all the existing connections from Naxos to the place you are coming from and viceversa.